Thursday, April 5, 2012

Can You See The Children?

When we post pictures and short summaries of children in a waiting child list format, it is sometimes hard to see the child beyond the special need. But when I have gone to visit these children in person, I don't see their special needs so much. I just see their adorable faces and unique personalities that could just blossom in a family. I see their potential, not their limitations. Sometimes I think that rather than posting what the special need is, we should post their strengths. Most of these kids are amazing survivors, determined little rascals with so much potential and so much character. A good example of this is Shane. In the full pictures, if you haven't met him, it may be hard to miss his special need. However, in person Shane's strength, determination and his captivating personality shine through past any physical need. His special need doesn't seem to limit him much and he is such a tease and the word sprite or imp seems to embody his personality perfectly. He burned an image and a place in my mind and heart that I will not forget. Yet few people have chosen to even have a look at his file. Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment